Flent-users discussion archives
* [Flent-users] IRTT question
@ 2018-02-08 19:32 Sebastian Moeller
From: Sebastian Moeller @ 2018-02-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users

So after reading the announcement, I went an tried my luck with irtt installed on macosx 10.12.6: irtt is installed and local tests seem to work, but I only get:

which: Found irtt executable at /Users/user/go/bin/irtt
UDP RTT test: Cannot use irtt runner (Irtt connection check failed: [OpenTimeout] no reply from server
). Using netperf UDP_RR

Now, is this supposed to work for macosx at all with irtt? I tried from two different networks and both times the same irtt "demotion" to netperf (not that there is anything wrong with netperf)
Silly question, do I need to run irtt as root?

Best Regards

* Re: [Flent-users] IRTT question
@ 2018-02-08 19:49 ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2018-02-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Moeller; +Cc: flent-users

It should work, but the irtt server needs to be running. On your box where netserver is running (sounds like the Mac for you if you’re testing locally), run “irtt server”.

On Linux you can use the irtt.service file in the repo with systemd to run it at startup. I’m working on a Debian package to make that setup easier, and if there’s interest a brew package for the Mac should be possible as well, but I hope at running it manually at least gets you going for now...

Pete

@ 2018-02-08 19:53   ` Sebastian Moeller
From: Sebastian Moeller @ 2018-02-08 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Heist; +Cc: flent-users

Hi Pete,

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 20:49, Pete Heist <peteheist@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It should work, but the irtt server needs to be running. On your box where netserver is running (sounds like the Mac for you if you’re testing locally), run “irtt server”.

	Ah, that got me a bit further:

which: Found irtt executable at /Users/smoeller/go/bin/irtt
UDP RTT test: Cannot use irtt runner (Irtt connection check failed: Error: read udp4 192.168.1.222:63322->130.243.26.64:2112: read: connection refused
). Using netperf UDP_RR

I guess I now need to poke a hole into my firewall to allow udp port 2112 incoming, no?

Best Regards & many thanks
	Sebastian

@ 2018-02-08 20:01     ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2018-02-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Moeller; +Cc: flent-users

> On Feb 8, 2018, at 8:53 PM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Pete,
>> On Feb 8, 2018, at 20:49, Pete Heist <peteheist@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It should work, but the irtt server needs to be running. On your box where netserver is running (sounds like the Mac for you if you’re testing locally), run “irtt server”.
>
> 	Ah, that got me a bit further:
>
> which: Found irtt executable at /Users/smoeller/go/bin/irtt
> UDP RTT test: Cannot use irtt runner (Irtt connection check failed: Error: read udp4 192.168.1.222:63322->130.243.26.64:2112: read: connection refused
> ). Using netperf UDP_RR
>
> I guess I now need to poke a hole into my firewall to allow udp port 2112 incoming, no?

That could be the problem, assuming the IP looks correct. On my Mac (10.11.6) the first time the irtt server receives an incoming packet with the firewall turned on it pops up a dialog asking if I want to add an exception for irtt, which I answer yes to. That first connection then fails, but subsequent ones succeed. Hopefully that works for you? Thanks for being brave and trying it out… :)

Pete