Flent-users discussion archives
* [Flent-users] Aggregate test results
@ 2022-08-04 12:41 Erik Taraldsen
From: Erik Taraldsen @ 2022-08-04 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users

This may already be a feature of flent which I have yet to figure out.  If
not, please consider this a feature request.

In flent-gui, selecting multiple test files and viewing tcp upload/download
- I would like to be able to have an aggregate throughput graph.

Regards Erik

* [Flent-users] Re: Aggregate test results
@ 2022-08-08 11:55 ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2022-08-08 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Taraldsen, flent-users

Erik Taraldsen <eriktar@gmail.com> writes:

> This may already be a feature of flent which I have yet to figure out.  If
> not, please consider this a feature request.
>
> In flent-gui, selecting multiple test files and viewing tcp upload/download
> - I would like to be able to have an aggregate throughput graph.

You mean, when loading data sets A and B (in separate .flent.gz files),
you want a graph of total throughput A+B? No, that's not currently
supported, you can only plot data files separately...

-Toke

* [Flent-users] Re: Aggregate test results
@ 2022-08-09 11:56   ` Erik Taraldsen
From: Erik Taraldsen @ 2022-08-09 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: flent-users

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 1:55 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> wrote:

> You mean, when loading data sets A and B (in separate .flent.gz files),
> you want a graph of total throughput A+B? No, that's not currently
> supported, you can only plot data files separately...

That is what I want to achieve, yes.  The intention is to have multiple
clients running the same test at the same time.  Verify if the total
capacity of the wifi router decreases under load or stays relatively the
same.

@ 2022-08-09 12:12     ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2022-08-09 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Taraldsen; +Cc: flent-users

Erik Taraldsen <eriktar@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 1:55 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> wrote:
>

>> You mean, when loading data sets A and B (in separate .flent.gz files),
>> you want a graph of total throughput A+B? No, that's not currently
>> supported, you can only plot data files separately...
>>

> That is what I want to achieve, yes.  The intention is to have multiple
> clients running the same test at the same time.  Verify if the total
> capacity of the wifi router decreases under load or stays relatively the
> same.

So the way I usually do this is to drive all the client tests from a
single Flent instance. There are two ways to do this: Run Flent on the
server and connect to each client, running the test "in reverse", so to
speak - the --swap-up-down parameter is meant specifically for this.

The alternative is to use the remote execution features of Flent to
start the test binaries on the clients using ssh (works best using a
dedicated control network). This is what the --remote-host parameter is
for.

The benefit of driving everything in one test is that this way Flent
also takes care of synchronising the data series into a single run
(assuming clocks are reasonably synchronised across machines when using
--remote-host), and you'll get everything in one data file. It can be a
bit fiddly to set up, but you can encode everything into a single batch
file so repetitions are easy...

-Toke

* [Flent-users] Re: Aggregate test results
@ 2022-08-09 13:23       ` Erik Taraldsen
From: Erik Taraldsen @ 2022-08-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: flent-users