Flent-users discussion archives
* Re: [Flent-users] [Make-wifi-fast] Flent traffic direction convention
       [not found] <1697eb13-068d-f518-35d6-1d1495feab40@smallnetbuilder.com>
@ 2020-03-27 11:05 ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2020-03-27 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Higgins, Make-Wifi-fast; +Cc: flent-users

(Adding flent-users@flent.org - please also include this in
Flent-specific questions)

> I might be confusing myself, but need to ask the question. What does flent
> define as upload and download?
>
> Netperf docs say:
> The TCP_STREAM test is the default test in netperf. It is quite simple,
> transferring some quantity of data from the system running netperf to the
> system running netserver.
>
> So why, when I look at tcp_1up_noping.conf does the DATA_SETS have 'test':
> 'TCP_STREAM' in the 'TCP_upload' dictionary?

Flent considers itself the client, so 'upload' is TCP_STREAM. As more
use cases have emerged, this has turned out to not always be the case,
of course; WiFi test scenarios such as you are doing being the most
prominent example. There's a --swap-up-down parameter which will switch
all instances of TCP_STREAM to TCP_MAERTS and vice-versa, though.

> Second question: Is there any documentation that can help me figure out
> exactly what traffic is running in each test type?
> I've tried looking at the .conf and .inc files, in flent/tests but can't
> figure it out.

Not really :/ There's https://flent.org/tests.html, but it hasn't really
kept up with new tests being added.

However, you can see it after the fact: The exact command lines for each
data series is stored (along with a bunch of other data) in the
SERIES_META object in the data file. Use the GUI to browse this, or
print it with 'flent -f metadata datafile.flent.gz'.

-Toke

* Re: [Flent-users] [Make-wifi-fast] Flent traffic direction convention
@ 2020-03-27 11:31   ` Tim Higgins
From: Tim Higgins @ 2020-03-27 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: Make-Wifi-fast, flent-users, Tim Higgins

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 7:05 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> (Adding flent-users@flent.org - please also include this in
> Flent-specific questions)
>
>> I might be confusing myself, but need to ask the question. What does flent
>> define as upload and download?
>>
>> Netperf docs say:
>> The TCP_STREAM test is the default test in netperf. It is quite simple,
>> transferring some quantity of data from the system running netperf to the
>> system running netserver.
>>
>> So why, when I look at tcp_1up_noping.conf does the DATA_SETS have 'test':
>> 'TCP_STREAM' in the 'TCP_upload' dictionary?
>
> Flent considers itself the client, so 'upload' is TCP_STREAM. As more
> use cases have emerged, this has turned out to not always be the case,
> of course; WiFi test scenarios such as you are doing being the most
> prominent example. There's a --swap-up-down parameter which will switch
> all instances of TCP_STREAM to TCP_MAERTS and vice-versa, though.
>
>> Second question: Is there any documentation that can help me figure out
>> exactly what traffic is running in each test type?
>> I've tried looking at the .conf and .inc files, in flent/tests but can't
>> figure it out.
>
> Not really :/ There's https://flent.org/tests.html, but it hasn't really
> kept up with new tests being added.
>
> However, you can see it after the fact: The exact command lines for each
> data series is stored (along with a bunch of other data) in the
> SERIES_META object in the data file. Use the GUI to browse this, or
> print it with 'flent -f metadata datafile.flent.gz'.
>
> -Toke

Thanks again, Toke. Looks like you anticipated my questions in the design! :)

* Re: [Flent-users] [Make-wifi-fast] Flent traffic direction convention
@ 2020-03-27 12:28     ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2020-03-27 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Higgins; +Cc: Make-Wifi-fast, flent-users, Tim Higgins

Tim Higgins <tim@timhiggins.com> writes:

>> On Mar 27, 2020, at 7:05 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> (Adding flent-users@flent.org - please also include this in
>> Flent-specific questions)
>>
>>> I might be confusing myself, but need to ask the question. What does flent
>>> define as upload and download?
>>>
>>> Netperf docs say:
>>> The TCP_STREAM test is the default test in netperf. It is quite simple,
>>> transferring some quantity of data from the system running netperf to the
>>> system running netserver.
>>>
>>> So why, when I look at tcp_1up_noping.conf does the DATA_SETS have 'test':
>>> 'TCP_STREAM' in the 'TCP_upload' dictionary?
>>
>> Flent considers itself the client, so 'upload' is TCP_STREAM. As more
>> use cases have emerged, this has turned out to not always be the case,
>> of course; WiFi test scenarios such as you are doing being the most
>> prominent example. There's a --swap-up-down parameter which will switch
>> all instances of TCP_STREAM to TCP_MAERTS and vice-versa, though.
>>
>>> Second question: Is there any documentation that can help me figure out
>>> exactly what traffic is running in each test type?
>>> I've tried looking at the .conf and .inc files, in flent/tests but can't
>>> figure it out.
>>
>> Not really :/ There's https://flent.org/tests.html, but it hasn't really
>> kept up with new tests being added.
>>
>> However, you can see it after the fact: The exact command lines for each
>> data series is stored (along with a bunch of other data) in the
>> SERIES_META object in the data file. Use the GUI to browse this, or
>> print it with 'flent -f metadata datafile.flent.gz'.
>>
>> -Toke
>>
> Thanks again, Toke. Looks like you anticipated my questions in the design! :)

You're welcome! And more like you are running into the same problems I
did myself originally, while running experiments quite similar to yours :)

BTW, my full data set for my own WiFi experiments are here:

https://www.cs.kau.se/tohojo/airtime-fairness/
https://www.cs.kau.se/tohojo/polifi/

The data files should also contain the Flent batch files and setup
scripts; feel free to re-use anything you need :)

-Toke