Flent-users discussion archives
From: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>
To: Tim Higgins <tim@smallnetbuilder.com>,
	Make-Wifi-fast <make-wifi-fast@lists.bufferbloat.net>
Cc: flent-users@flent.org
Subject: Re: [Flent-users] [Make-wifi-fast] Flent traffic direction convention
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:05:10 +0100	[thread overview]

(Adding flent-users@flent.org - please also include this in
Flent-specific questions)

> I might be confusing myself, but need to ask the question. What does flent
> define as upload and download?
>
> Netperf docs say:
> The TCP_STREAM test is the default test in netperf. It is quite simple,
> transferring some quantity of data from the system running netperf to the
> system running netserver.
>
> So why, when I look at tcp_1up_noping.conf does the DATA_SETS have 'test':
> 'TCP_STREAM' in the 'TCP_upload' dictionary?

Flent considers itself the client, so 'upload' is TCP_STREAM. As more
use cases have emerged, this has turned out to not always be the case,
of course; WiFi test scenarios such as you are doing being the most
prominent example. There's a --swap-up-down parameter which will switch
all instances of TCP_STREAM to TCP_MAERTS and vice-versa, though.

> Second question: Is there any documentation that can help me figure out
> exactly what traffic is running in each test type?
> I've tried looking at the .conf and .inc files, in flent/tests but can't
> figure it out.

Not really :/ There's https://flent.org/tests.html, but it hasn't really
kept up with new tests being added.

However, you can see it after the fact: The exact command lines for each
data series is stored (along with a bunch of other data) in the
SERIES_META object in the data file. Use the GUI to browse this, or
print it with 'flent -f metadata datafile.flent.gz'.

-Toke