Flent-users discussion archives
* [Flent-users] irtt on flent-london
@ 2019-01-11  9:29 Pete Heist
       [not found] ` <87tvif4dsz.fsf@toke.dk>
From: Pete Heist @ 2019-01-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users

There doesn’t seem to be an irtt server running on flent-london. Is it off, or did it go down and was there anything logged?

Pete

* Re: [Flent-users] irtt on flent-london
       [not found]   ` <CAA93jw4mX64VEjdTzSPaLTBTAwY3eATgvEpvCrED4HOy-Y0Xag@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-01-11 16:31     ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2019-01-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: flent-users

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just turned it on again (I think it had crashed).

Interesting, afaik I don’t think there’s a code path by which you wouldn’t get an error message in case of a socket or related error, and malformed packets should just result in drop and log. A native crash, I’m not sure what you’d see, but I’ve never seen that after dozens of testing hours. I’d _love_ to know what happened.

It might be worth compiling from HEAD using Go 1.11.4, in case there was some compiler or runtime bug with whatever it was compiled with.

> I would like to enable irtt fully across the flent network, and with
> liberal defaults (longer tests, shorter intervals). Can you suggest a
> useful set of defaults to use?

Maybe just:
irtt server -i 1ms

plus whatever bind option is needed. Unlimited length tests and packet sizes are the default, and less than 1ms isn’t likely to be useful on the open Internet, I suppose?

> Another option is to make several versions available on different port
> numbers with different default dscp markings. I'd get a kick out of
> being to test udp-lite, as another example.

DSCP marking can currently only be selected by the client, and the server can disallow that if it wants. It could be possible as a new flag to set a default on the server, which is passed to the client during its opening handshake. I think I could do that without a protocol version bump. Feature request?

* Re: [Flent-users] irtt on flent-london
@ 2019-01-25  8:26       ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2019-01-25  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: flent-users

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Pete Heist <pete@heistp.net> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 11, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just turned it on again (I think it had crashed).

I actually never noticed that it went on, and it isn’t on now. Is it really going down that quickly?

* Re: [Flent-users] irtt on flent-london
@ 2019-01-26  5:07         ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2019-01-26  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Heist; +Cc: flent-users

I guess so... send me a ssh key?

--

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC

* Re: [Flent-users] irtt on flent-london
@ 2019-02-01  2:47           ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2019-02-01  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users

irtt server running on flent-london, in case anyone wants to try. Compiled head with Go 1.11.4, and invoked with systemd, we’ll see...

@ 2019-02-05 13:46             ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2019-02-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 3:47 AM, Pete Heist <pete@heistp.net> wrote:
>
> irtt server running on flent-london, in case anyone wants to try. Compiled head with Go 1.11.4, and invoked with systemd, we’ll see…

So far it’s stayed up. I suspect that the problem of the server stopping is because the irtt binary in the Debian package appears to actually be compiled with gccgo, which I have done zero testing on. It looks like there’s a way I can explicitly request the golang.org Go compiler, so I’m working on getting a new version pushed.

Any opinions on whether irtt.service should automatically be installed and enabled on package installation?

Also, I’ll thank Dave for insisting that irtt use a three-way handshake :)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/over-485000-ubiquiti-devices-vulnerable-to-new-attack/

Pete