Flent-users discussion archives
* [Flent-users] flaws and features of flent
@ 2023-01-16  1:52 Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2023-01-16  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users

A rather long, meandering piece:

https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/flaws_in_flent/

--
This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

* [Flent-users] Re: flaws and features of flent
@ 2023-01-16  7:14 ` Sebastian Moeller
From: Sebastian Moeller @ 2023-01-16  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users, Dave Taht, flent-users

Hi Dave,

On 16 January 2023 02:52:45 CET, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>A rather long, meandering piece:
>
>https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/flaws_in_flent/

I think 'Flent’s default sampling rate is too low' has a conceptually simple solution, record dats at high sample rates and optionally downsample before plotting... However with the range of network speeds flent covers picking a sane default is going to be a challenge. With almost all endhosts sporting gigabit ethernet interfaces and beyond I am unsure whether basing the sample rate on to-be-detected interface rate would help (it might serve to give an upper bound for sampling rate).

regards
        Sebastian

--

* [Flent-users] Re: flaws and features of flent
@ 2023-01-16  7:24 ` Sebastian Moeller
From: Sebastian Moeller @ 2023-01-16  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flent-users, Dave Taht, flent-users

Hi Dave,

'but folk in the 3rd world, (like, rural America) will love it.'

You know this, but for folks in the game since after the cold war ended. 3rd world denotes states that are neither 'affiliated' to the 'western' USA-lead block or to the the USSR-lead Warsaw-block states. The meaning as 'less-developed' is of more recent origin and I am not sure how 'less-developed' countries call themselves....

Regards
        Sebastian

--

* [Flent-users] Re: flaws and features of flent
@ 2023-01-16 16:28   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2023-01-16 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Moeller; +Cc: flent-users

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 11:14 PM Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 16 January 2023 02:52:45 CET, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >A rather long, meandering piece:
> >
> >https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/flaws_in_flent/
>
> I think 'Flent’s default sampling rate is too low' has a conceptually simple solution, record dats at high sample rates and optionally downsample before plotting... However with the range of network speeds flent covers picking a sane default is going to be a challenge. With almost all endhosts sporting gigabit ethernet interfaces and beyond I am unsure whether basing the sample rate on to-be-detected interface rate would help (it might serve to give an upper bound for sampling rate).

The real problem is we run out of cpu when polling ss too fast. I
haven't played with google labs' sampler as yet, it's here:

A righter answer, long term, is to start wedging a lag meter, and
sampling TCP_INFO, directly into more utilities and libraries. Adding
a lag meter to git, for example, would get some eyeballs on
bufferbloat quickly. Something that worked within a web browser,
passively, would be good also.

Getting TCP_INFO sampling into rust and go has been on my mind.

https://github.com/rust-lang/socket2/issues/362

And thank you for reading. I am loving having emacs in front of me
again. I hope to move more of my workload back into that, including
email, and to add a grammar checker, in the hope that more of what I
write in the future is more accessible.

Assuming I can keep pounding out text at this rate, and continue to
improve my workflow, the bufferbloat.net site will improve rapidly.

--

@ 2023-01-16 16:30   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2023-01-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Moeller; +Cc: flent-users

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 11:24 PM Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> 'but folk in the 3rd world, (like, rural America) will love it.'
>
> You know this, but for folks in the game since after the cold war ended. 3rd world denotes states that are neither 'affiliated' to the 'western' USA-lead block or to the the USSR-lead Warsaw-block states. The meaning as 'less-developed' is of more recent origin and I am not sure how 'less-developed' countries call themselves....

I was trying to be funny, and I have long regarded "3rd world" and
"less developed", as insulting, also.

I have no idea how well george carlin translates into other cultures,
but he is a hero of mine, as is the BOFH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY&themeRefresh=1