Flent-users discussion archives
* Re: [Flent-users] irtt packet-cluster mode for estimating queueing delay
       [not found]     ` <731C3150-7935-4CE2-B169-CF1637B9A94A@gmx.de>
@ 2018-05-07  6:40       ` Pete Heist
From: Pete Heist @ 2018-05-07  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Moeller; +Cc: flent-users

> On May 6, 2018, at 9:17 PM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> you could also try different packet sizes for you probes. The size ratio should give you an idea about the RTT difference explained by simple transit times and anything on top of that might be related to queueing. I am probably severely underestimating the scope of your question, but I believe that that also has the advantage that, unlike packet-tuples, will not be as sensitive to bonded path segments (which probably do not exist in your environment in the first place).

I was also considering adding the option to irtt for different packet sizes in each cluster. I’d have to change the IPDV calculation to only calculate it for like-sized packets, which is possible.

I see how using the RTTs for different packet lengths might help estimate the transmission time, but not how I could use that to differentiate between channel contention and queueing delays(?) Maybe I see what you’re saying, that in addition to varying the DSCP value, I can also vary length to estimate the transmission time, and subtract that from the estimate I get for “contention” to have a better approximation of how much contention time there is, which sounds like a good idea... :)

I don’t know of any bonded segments in this case…

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-05-07  6:41 UTC | newest]